Motivation

I have seen money problems hurt career progression, kill close relationships, and reduce wellbeing. The worst part was that most of these  problems were preventable. 

This experience drove me to research further. I then found that money was the #1 source of stress in the U.S and Canada. Money stress exceeds health-related stress, job stress, and relationship stress. Surveys show that 59% of Americans and 53% of Canadians live paycheck to paycheck.

Most of us did not learn about money in school. Plus our culture incentivizes spending, leading to many broke people who live extravagant lives. Social media amplifies this group think, urging us to keep up with our friends. 

So don’t beat yourself up. The lack of education and our consumer culture makes it extremely hard to stay on track with our finances. 

I Beleive

that you can grow financial health and wealth by taking control of your expenses, building an emergency fund and investing. 

The technical parts of personal finance are only 15% of the challenge. The remaining 85% is all about controlling your behavior. I view human behavior as a mix of self-discipline and habit development. 

The data shows that we live in the most prosperous times in human history. Income per capita has never been higher (adjusted for inflation), and quality information has never been easier to access. There 

About Me

I’m Jake. 

I’m a frugal 29-year-old Canadian. I love squeezing the most out of my time and money.  I invest over 50% of my income while maintaining a lifestyle that I consider to be full of wealth. I’ve been DIY investing for the past 6 years, and I take great pride in my 12 year old civic. 

I love fitness. Weight lifting, mountain biking, and road cycling are by jam. I find it important to do something hard daily to maintain self-discipline. Fitness serves this purpose while increasing energy, sleep quality, and cognition. 

I studied Engineering Physics at Queen’s University. I learned that a deep understanding of core concepts can be applied to an infinite number of unique situations. Core concepts simplify personal finance. 

 

I have a full-time career as an Officer in the Canadian Armed Forces. I am always learning about human behavior, to become a better leader. It’s fascinating.  Naturally, these leadership lessons spill over into personal finance.

I hold an MBA from the Royal Military College of Canada and am finishing the Accredited Financial Counselor Canada (AFCC) certification. 

You won’t find content on Wealthy Corner which I do not embrace personally. Enjoy.